Saturday 28 March 2015

Feeling Appreciated.

I hope this post doesn't sound self-gratifying in any way but I want to chat about a lesson I learned recently.

I've mentioned before how the job I have isn't exactly what I had in mind when I left uni or something I saw longevity in, but every so often I realise that perhaps sticking it out isn't necessarily the same as settling.

In the appraisal I had with my boss this week we had the usual discussion of how I'm getting on, that I'm happy and apparently I can do my job somewhat well, which is always nice to know.
When I started here I was told that my position in the company would change, my boss wanted to make the most of the degree I have but I've been working there for 1.5 years and although my job role has changed slightly it hasn't necessarily progressed. I think this is what has led me to feel like I'm stuck at a point in my life that I'm not happy with.
That changed this week though as I have officially been told that I'll be getting more responsibility in a different position next month and that my future at the company could lead to a consultant job which obviously would be brilliant (BUT it is not a done deal and will take time!). This would mean there's a chance for me to have a more senior role and hopefully with that earn a little more money.

Even though it's not the type of work I was initially interested in or passionate about the people that I work with and for often keep me wanting to stay there.
There is no guarantee of where I will end up even if I stay at this job or move on but it's strange how one day can really make you contemplate your future plans, even if it's only looking a few years ahead. It's definitely going to make me have to seriously think about how I do my travelling!

I guess it goes to show that you never know what is going to happen and how much something as simple as being told you are appreciated and that someone thinks you have potential can mean.

I think everyone should aim to show their appreciation for other people a lot more frequently because the smallest gestures are normally the most important.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment